One of the best parts about making sugar cookies is decorating them, and this sugar cookie icing recipe is the best way to do it. Sugar cookies taste great on their own, but a little bit of icing can make them look as awesome as they taste.
This sugar cookie icing recipe is so easy to make and use, and it looks so professional! The first time I used it, I made Easter sugar cookies using one of my easy sugar cookies recipes, shaped liked chicks, bunnies, butterflies, and flowers… They almost came out too pretty to eat!
Decorating sugar cookies does take time though. This icing is incredibly easy to work with, and you can make it thicker or thinner depending on what you need. But be sure that you’re ready to take a while to decorate the cookies — that way you won’t feel rushed or stressed and you’ll be able to really appreciate the fun.
And here it is!
Yields 1/3 cup icing.
1 cup icing sugar
2 tsp milk
2 tsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, mix the icing sugar, 2 tsp milk and 2 tsp corn syrup together. Add the vanilla extract and stir until smooth and glossy.
- If the icing is too thick, you can stir in more corn syrup or milk.
- Just add 1/2 a teaspoon at a time until it feels right.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and mix until the color is even.
- You can split the icing into different batches if you want multiple colors.
- This icing hardens fast, so you have to keep it covered whenever you’re not using it.
- When you’re decorating cookies, you want to let one color set before you add another, otherwise, the new color will just sink in the old one.
- Let the icing dry at least an hour before using a second color. It might take longer to dry depending on things like heat and humidity.
- Depending on what you’re doing with the icing, you’ll want it thicker or thinner. Just add milk or corn syrup to get it just right!
- Thinner icing works best for filling in large areas.
- Thicker icing is great for adding in details with a small, clean paintbrush, or piping bag.
- Instead of vanilla extract, you can use all sorts of different extracts, like almond or orange. I’ve made this icing with lemon extract and it was a huge hit.
- If you want bolder colors, try using gel food coloring. You can always get them in the food decorating section of an arts and crafts store, or sometimes just in the grocery store.