Are you tired of making desserts that include refined flours and sugars, baking powder, food colors, and artificial flavorings? These ingredients are bad for your health, so why not try an all-natural and tasty dessert that is super healthy for your body? Chocolate coconut balls with dried fruits and sesame are an excellent choice.
Health Benefits of Raw Cocoa Powder, Dried Figs, Dates, Sesame and Bourbon Vanilla
Raw cocoa powder is a superfood. It has more antioxidants than do foods like cranberries, red wine, or green tea. Did you know that two tablespoons of natural cocoa have more antioxidant capacity than four cups of green tea? Food scientists know that antioxidants contribute to cardiovascular health, such as enhanced blood flow, healthy cholesterol levels, and reduced blood pressure. Cocoa is also rich in magnesium, copper, potassium, calcium, and iron.
Figs originate in Arabia. They are a seasonal fruit, but dried figs are available all year round and are a rich source of vitamins (B vitamins, vitamin A and C), minerals (calcium, iron), and fiber (pectin aids your digestive system and clears the extra cholesterol).
It is believed that the original homeland of sesame is the Indian subcontinent. Rich in calcium, the tasty sesame seeds are also an excellent dietary source of iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, and vitamin E. On top of all that, they also contain sesamin and sesamolin – two substances that are thought to prevent high blood pressure and protect the liver against oxidative damage.
Derived from orchids of the genus Vanilla, vanilla powder is primarily used as a flavoring. If you can, buy Bourbon Madagascar vanilla powder because Bourbon Madagascar Vanilla beans are the best type of vanilla bean in the world. You can find it in organic food stores. To find out about the health benefits of vanilla, please check out this article.
All of the above ingredients help build and maintain strong bones and teeth. Go ahead, and treat yourself and your kids to this wonderful dessert that will keep your family in good health!
This recipe requires 8 ingredients and only 30 minutes of your time to make.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 2 cups of raw hazelnuts, soaked in water for 5 hours, then dried and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of dried figs, soaked in water for 1 hour, then drained
- 1 cup of pitted dates, soaked in water, then drained
- 1/3 or 1/4 cup of raw organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of sesame seeds, soaked in water for 5 hours, then dried
- shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon of powdered Bourbon vanilla
- 1/2 cup of water
- Mix hazelnuts, figs, dates, cocoa, and water in a blender at medium or high speed until smooth.
- Add sesame seeds and mix until the seeds are evenly distributed.
- Add powdered Bourbon vanilla into the mixture. The mixture should be dense and moist. If the mixture is a bit dry, add more water.
- Form the mixture into small balls and roll them in shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate the balls for at least one hour before serving.
Remember: There’s no need to add any processed sugar into the mixture. Figs and dates, which are high in natural sugar, are the perfect sweetener for raw cocoa powder.
Serve the delicious chocolate coconut balls with ginger tea or freshly-squeezed mandarin juice.