Christmas sweets make special additions to gift baskets and holiday parties. This year, take a break from classic fudge recipes and try this white chocolate delight.
Fudge is by nature a decadent holiday treat, smooth and sweet with coffee, a warm toddy, or dessert sherry. Make your platter of Christmas fudge stand out from the pack with this white chocolate version full of cranberries and walnuts.
Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge- Mostly Organic Recipe
- 12 oz Sweet Earth fair trade organic white chocolate baking chips (substitute Ghirardelli)
- ½ tsp Nielsen-Massey Organic Madagascar Bourbon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup Wholesome Sweeteners fair trade organic powdered sugar
- 3 oz softened Organic Valley cream cheese
- ½ cup Betty Crocker vanilla frosting
- 2/3 cup Ocean Spray sweetened dried cranberries
- ¾ cup organic walnuts
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- Grease a 9” x 9” Pyrex baking dish or line with tinfoil.
- Blend Wholesome Sweeteners powdered sugar, Organic Valley cream cheese, and Betty Crocker vanilla frosting.
- Melt Sweet Earth white chocolate baking chips in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add Nielsen-Massey vanilla while stirring melting chips.
- Combine melted white chocolate and frosting blend with organic walnuts, Ocean Spray cranberries, and lemon zest.
- Spread in pan and chill for two hours.
- Cut and store refrigerated in an airtight container. Use wax paper between layers.
Christmas Embellishments for Cranberry Walnut White Chocolate Fudge
After cooling cranberry walnut white chocolate fudge for half an hour, press cranberries and fresh mint leave into fudge to resemble holly. Dip the mint leaves in cooled simple syrup before use to preserve color longer. Place one holly embellishment per cut piece of fudge. Freezing will blacken mint leaf embellishments; only use leaves if eating fudge while fresh.
Substitutions for Variety and Economy
Nestle Vanilla Chips may be substituted for both the white chocolate baking chips and vanilla in a pinch, but Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla results in superior gourmet flavor.
Change taste with the following fudge recipe changes:
- Homemade vanilla frosting for canned brands
- Hazelnuts or macadamia nuts instead of walnuts
- Orange zest instead of lemon zest
Cut costs of large batches of fudge by using non-organic brands including:
- Ghirardelli Classic White Chocolate baking chips
- C & H powdered sugar
- McCormick vanilla extract
- Philadelphia cream cheese
White Chocolate Fudge- A Simple, Elegant Addition to Gourmet Gift Baskets
The best aspect of any fudge recipe is that amazing results come from so little kitchen labor. Fudge is quick and easy. Consider making batches of classic chocolate and penuche fudge to accompany the cranberry walnut white chocolate variety. Present all three on a pretty holiday platter for entertaining or secure with decorative holiday wrap and ribbon for a gourmet Christmas gift basket.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Cooling time: 2 hours
- Makes: roughly 2 lbs fudge; servings depending on the size of pieces
- Storage: a refrigerated airtight container for 1-2 weeks; 3-month freezer storage