If you’re making a cake, then you’ll need a good chocolate frosting recipe. Cake is tasty all on its own, but a good homemade chocolate frosting will make it go from good to out-of-this-world!
Depending on what type of cake you made, you’ll want to use one frosting recipe or another, but one kind of frosting that goes great with lots of cakes is chocolate buttercream frosting.
My personal favorite cake is a chocolate cake made from my best chocolate cake recipe, with this easy chocolate frosting recipe. Try it out! You won’t be disappointed.
Here it is!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Yields 1 batch frosting for a 9″x13″ cake, or a 2-layer 9″ square or round cake.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp milk
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter until it’s soft. Add 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time, beating the mixture until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla to the mixture, and beat it until it’s well-blended.
- Incorporate 2oz of chocolate to the mixture.
- Add the rest of the sugar in three steps, alternating with the milk. Add more chocolate if needed. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- The milk is there to help you get the right texture. You can add a bit when you’re adding the sugar to make it easier to beat, and then at the end to get it to just the right texture.
- A softer frosting works best for covering the surface of the cake.
- A stiffer frosting is better for piping on decorations.
- Start with 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar, and add more if you feel the frosting isn’t sweet enough for you.
- The sugar also helps stiffen the frosting, in case you add too much milk.
- Taste as you go. If you need more chocolate, add more. Not sweet enough? Add more sugar. It’s the best way to get a chocolate buttercream frosting that’s just right for you.
- This recipe uses a raw egg yolk. Raw eggs can sometimes contain bacteria that can make you sick, but if you use pasteurized eggs you can reduce the risk of that happening.